This week, we are featuring rookie Arielle Ship. Hear from Ari below and be sure to give her a follow on Twitter and Instagram!
Hi there! My name is Arielle or Ari for short (pronounced like the letters R-E-L). I’m 22 years old, from Southern California and just graduated from the University of California, Berkeley. One thing that most people don’t know about me is that I know American Sign Language, so I thought it could be cool for me to sign a few things for you all! I took 3 years of ASL in high school, and have been able to sign and communicate with the deaf and hearing-impaired ever since. I absolutely love the language, I think it’s beautiful. Learning ASL has taught me a lot about a culture I really knew nothing of, one that wants its language and form to continue on for years to come.
Learn some ASL!
Some other fun facts or things you might not know about me:
1. I have three incredible younger sisters- Hannah who attends UCLA, Alexa who attends the University of Southern California, and Nicole who will attend UC Berkeley in the fall (I’m such a proud big sister- GO BEARS!). My mom jokes that we clearly love the Pac-12 in our family (lol).
2. I absolutely love TV- some of my favorite series are: Grey’s Anatomy, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Bloodline, Shameless, New Girl, Making a Murderer, Stranger Things, and The Leftovers just for starters…
3. My favorite dessert is probably ice cream – Talenti’s Mediterranean Mint flavor (if you haven’t tried it, it’s a must!!!) but if that’s not available, I’ll deal with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s just fine
4. My favorite food depends on my mood, but know I’ll eat just about anything lol… I love Mexican, Thai, American, Italian, Chinese, breakfast foods, you name it, I’ll probably try it and enjoy it.
5. A perfect day for me would be to sleep in, wake up to some pancakes or waffles being made, devour them, and then go play a little footy with the weather being 80 degrees and sunny. Then I would head to the beach to lay around, get my tan on, and body surf some waves. Then, I would go scarf down some delicious tacos for lunch. Then maybe I’d do a little shopping- I mean who can resist a sale at Lululemon? After that, I’d probably grab some Thai food to go and cuddle up at home on the couch with a good show or movie and dig in. And then, of course, I have to end my night with a little something sweet! I’m pretty easy to please- some soccer, good food, and beautiful weather is just about all I need!
6. I sometimes like fruit, I sometimes hate it. Especially bananas. Love hate relationship with them for sure.
7. I absolutely NEED to have my toenails painted. At all times.
8. I go through weird phases where I’ll be obsessed with something like licorice or popcorn, and I’ll completely overdo it, and have it every single day, and then I can’t look at it ever again. Or at least for a very long time. Then I’ll kinda become obsessed with it again. Right now, my guilty pleasure is Café Rio. I go at least once a week. Trying to prevent myself from overdoing this one because it’s sooo good.
9. I like all types of music.
10. I don’t have an artistic bone in my body, and I really wish I did.
I like to think I’m a fun, easy-going, caring friend, who always loves to have a good laugh! I’m very grateful for my friends and family, and feel I have an amazing support system. I hope you all enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about me (although most of it was about food)
Follow Ari on Twitter @arielle_ship and Instagram @arielleship!